Horseshoe Magazine

The Long-Form Journalism Source of the University of New Haven

Horseshoe Magazine

Horseshoe Magazine

Reflecting on my senior year

The front of Maxcy Hall. Photo courtesy of Horseshoe Magazine/Samuel Weinmann.

Fall 2023: the start of my final semester—the beginning of the end, and the calm before the storm of life after college. But how do I talk about my final university experience? This year begins with much excitement and a lot of anxiety. 

My first few years at this university were met with many friends who dropped out of school because of COVID-19 or because of stress/mental health. It was honestly hard to watch them leave but at the same time I felt the same way as them. I felt all of the stress and the mental strain but I stuck it out to get my diploma and be able to say that I did it, that I made it through college—through COVID-19 and all. But what did I learn? Should I talk about what I learned in college or about myself? How about I do both.

My name is Kiara Greene and I’m a senior at the University of New Haven.  I can honestly say that I’m pretty nervous about my life after graduation. I’ve spent so much time in high school and throughout college fixing my resume and creating and updating my LinkedIn. I’ve also tried my best to make so many connections throughout my college career, and I took advantage of many clubs and organizations on campus to get my hobbies and interests met and hoped to create and keep skills. I hope that after college I can get the job of my dreams or at least get a foot into the door of where I would like to be. I also have an idea to explore and expand my interest and hobbies by continuing to build many different portfolios to demonstrate all my many talents, hobbies and skills. There are an endless amount of possibilities and opportunities but I hope to get some sort of opportunity from the ones I really enjoy the most. I’m very nervous about the future but I’m also very excited about the possibilities..

Since my first year, I was always told to network. This semester, my goal is to take advantage of my classes and opportunities, and to make connections from now until December to earn the most out of my degree. I do really look forward to this semester and I am excited to really get into my classes to make friends and connections. I have all the classes I wanted to take this semester so it makes me feel very excited and motivated.

As a senior, I would like to say that being a full-time student at college will always be difficult to navigate and balance. But for anyone attending college this year, you will succeed. Find your friend support group. Make study groups with friends to keep each other focused but also make sure you make the most of your four years. Go out with friends, see movies or go to the park. Go to the many concerts in the local area. Just make sure you have an outlet for your stress and you have friends around to let loose with. This is my advice to you and also what I feel like people don’t really mention much to us as students.

Any goals for my  semester would have to be to just make more connections, build up my portfolio more and get more experience in other fields. I have to admit I have a lot of goals because once I graduate this year I have to go job hunting. I need experience, I need connections. I want to make sure I am ready and prepared to take on life outside of university. I am a planner and I like to plan out my plays before I start the game. I hope that when December comes around, I can say that I accomplished all of my goals or at least 90 percent of my goals. I won’t know if I will fully accomplish them or not without getting the job I want.

I am approaching this semester in a way that I haven’t in the past. My time management in the past wasn’t the best in terms of balancing college and free time. But I’ve become better with it as time went by; my biggest concern is my motivation. If I plan it out but don’t feel like doing it that could be bad. I want to stay in a positive mindset especially since I look forward to these classes this year.

So to everyone please stay safe, lookout for your own mental health and friend’s mental health. Have a great semester!