Horseshoe Magazine

The Long-Form Journalism Source of the University of New Haven

Horseshoe Magazine

Horseshoe Magazine

Ushering in a new semester of creative visions

Horseshoe Magazine, officially established in 2021–yet rebranded less than a year ago–has seen a wealth of growth in its short life so far, starting from an honors thesis proposal from University of New Haven alumna Amanda Castro, ‘21, to a fully operational publication with a staff of dedicated writers.

Our passionate student writers have covered important topics ranging from the impacts of generative AI and the systemic inequalities of the U.S. prison system, to topics like album reviews or features of local events.

While the University of New Haven gets its hard news coverage from the Charger Bulletin newspaper and broadcast, Horseshoe Magazine provides an outlet for creative and long-form works, while still adhering to journalistic ethics and standards.

As we are entering our second semester as Horseshoe Magazine, we still strive to foster that atmosphere–one that welcomes in all writers, at all levels. With our new staff of editors, we accept pieces in a variety of sections, with our most recent addition being our new literary section, allowing students to submit creative works of fiction and poetry.

Throughout the fall semester, we are seeking to gain the valuable perspectives of students from all majors–not just communication students. Having a byline in a publication is useful professional experience for all careers, and at Horseshoe Magazine we seek to give that outlet to all students who are interested. Even if you haven’t written for a newspaper or a magazine before, our editorial staff is eager and willing to help you start. If you are a student at the University of New Haven, and you have something you’d like to write about–we want to hear about it. If you would like to get involved in writing, editing or taking photos for us, don’t hesitate to reach out at [email protected]